- Download a PDF of the Western MA COVID-19 County Data Dashboard
Observations about the Data
- COVID-19 cases in all four counties of Western Massachusetts have increased during the last two-week period.
None of the communities in Berkshire County were categorized as “red” by MDPH.
Pittsfield accounted for almost 44% of COVID-19 cases in Berkshire County during the last two-week period (15/34).
Buckland was categorized as “red” by MDPH, with greater than 8 cases per 100,000 population. Although Buckland only had 6 new cases, because the population is small, their incidence rate per 100,000 was high.
Springfield accounted for more than one third of the new COVID-19 cases in Hampden County during the last two-week period (352 of the 935 new cases countywide).
10 Communities in Hampden County are now classified as “red” by MDPH, meaning they have more than 8 COVID-19 cases per 100,000 population. The 10 communities are: Agawam, Blandford, Brimfield, Chicopee, East Longmeadow, Holyoke, Palmer, Springfield, West Springfield, and Westfield. Together these communities account for over 90% (864/935) of the new COVID-19 cases in the county during the past two weeks.
Granby was categorized as “red” by MDPH, with greater than 8 cases per 100,000 population. Although Granby only had 11 new cases, because the population is small, their incidence rate per 100,000 was high.
Community-Level COVID-19 Data Over Time
Data Sources and Notes
- Sources: MDPH, https://www.mass.gov/info-details/covid-19-response-reporting
- MDPH Weekly COVID-19 Public Health Report. Current two week data is from most recent Public Health Report. Prior two week data is from prior week’s Public Health Report. Please note that there is an overlap in periods as MDPH reports weekly on rolling two week reporting periods, which they use for their comparisons. We report data in this way to be consistent with MDPH reporting.
- MDPH COVID-19 Daily Dashboard. Date corresponding to most recent MDPH Weekly COVID-19 Public Health Report.
- Comparisons to previous two-week period: Symbols indicate change when compared to prior two-week period. For new cases, incidence per 100,000, and total tests: Higher (upward arrow) means the number in the current two-week period is higher than the prior period. Lower (downward arrow) means the number in the current two-week period is lower than prior two-week period. No change (equal sign) means the number in the current two-week period is the same as the prior period. For percent positivity: less than 0.10% difference in the percent positivity is considered No change (equal sign).
- Race and ethnicity data by county and community is not available at this time.
- Change in reporting: MDPH changed their reporting of county data on 8/12/20. Previously, county cases were in the Daily COVID-19 Dashboard report and included probable and confirmed cases. Beginning 8/12/20, county data is now reported in the Weekly COVID-19 report and cases only include confirmed cases. Thus, we are not currently able to show new case county-level data and other county-level data over time for periods prior to 8/12/20.
See the latest COVID-19 Data at the Western MA COVID-19 Data Dashboard.