Western MA COVID-19 Data
Here is a list of COVID-19 data and resources you can find on this page. Either scroll through the page or click one of the links below.
- Western MA COVID-19 County Data Dashboard
- Community-level COVID-19 data over time
- Hospital Capacity by Region
- COVID-19 Vaccine data
- COVID-19 Dashboard Advisory Group
- COVID-19 at Schools & Universities
- Caution about Interpreting COVID-19 Data
- Other data resources
The Western MA COVID-19 Data Dashboard is updated every Friday by mid-day.
Based on best available data as of 1/14/2021
- Download a PDF of the Western MA COVID-19 County Data Dashboard
Berkshire County COVID-19 data
Franklin County COVID-19 data
Hampden County COVID-19 data
Hampshire County COVID-19 data
On November 6, 2020, the Baker-Polito Administration released updated metrics for communities that adjust for a municipality's population size. The new metrics incorporate cases per 100,000 residents and the test positivity rate when determining a color designation. More details about the color designations can be found in the table below. To see community designations, please download the spreadsheets below or visit the county pages.
Based on best available data as of 1/14/2021
The state now has a weekly COVID-19 vaccination report. This weekly report features information on COVID-19 vaccine supply distribution, administration, and other data for Massachusetts. It is updated each Thursday at 5pm.
The map below shows COVID-19 vaccine doses shipped to providers in different counties as a percentage of the population. It is important to note that the providers shown are the initial recipients, and doses may be redistributed to other providers (and other counties). Additionally, some federal facilities in MA receive vaccine from a separate federal distribution system that is not included in this data.
Data Sources and Notes
- MDPH Weekly COVID-19 Public Health Report. Current two week data is from most recent Public Health Report. Prior two week data is from prior week’s Public Health Report. Please note that there is an overlap in periods as MDPH reports weekly on rolling two week reporting periods, which they use for their comparisons. We report data in this way to be consistent with MDPH reporting.
- MDPH COVID-19 Daily Dashboard. Date corresponding to most recent MDPH Weekly COVID-19 Public Health Report.
- MDPH COVID-19 Interactive Data Dashboard
- MDPH Weekly COVID-19 Vaccination Report
- Comparisons to previous two-week period: Symbols indicate change when compared to prior two-week period. For new cases, incidence per 100,000, and total tests: Higher (upward arrow) means the number in the current two-week period is higher than the prior period. Lower (downward arrow) means the number in the current two-week period is lower than prior two-week period. No change (equal sign) means the number in the current two-week period is the same as the prior period. For percent positivity: less than 0.10% difference in the percent positivity is considered No change (equal sign).
- Race and ethnicity data by county and community is not available at this time.
- Change in reporting: MDPH changed their reporting of county data on 8/12/20. Previously, county cases were in the Daily COVID-19 Dashboard report and included probable and confirmed cases. Beginning 8/12/20, county data is now reported in the Weekly COVID-19 report and cases only include confirmed cases. Thus, we are not currently able to show new case county-level data and other county-level data over time for periods prior to 8/12/20.
In addition to regularly soliciting feedback from the general public, we've established a COVID-19 Dashboard Advisory Group consisting of regional public health and data experts to help think through how we present this very complex data. The Advisory Group consists of:
- Bettye Anderson-Frederic – Former Springfield Health and Human Services Deputy Director
- Molly Goren-Watts – Pioneer Valley Planning Commission
- Gail Gramarossa – Collaborative for Educational Services
- Laura Kittross – Berkshire Regional Planning Commission
- Phoebe Walker – Franklin Regional Council of Governments
Positive COVID-19 Cases in Schools Reported by Districts: Positive COVID-19 cases among students and staff by district reported to the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, updated each Thursday
State Representative Mindy Domb's Institutions of Higher Education in MA COVID-19 Data Tracker
COVID-19 data from universities located in Western MA: listing of links to COVID-19 data from universities located in Western MA
Interpreting Case Data
Testing has been very limited due to shortages in availability of testing materials, and many people who may have had the disease were not able to be tested. Thus, the percent testing positive is dependent on who is tested and not necessarily reflective of the distribution of COVID-19 in the general population.
Interpreting Race and Ethnicity Data
It is important to examine data to understand racial and ethnic inequities related to COVID-19 so that action can be taken to address inequities. National level data has demonstrated inequities among communities of color and though these inequities likely exist in many places across the country, Massachusetts testing data collected to date should be interpreted cautiously. Race and ethnicity data was not initially collected for cases, so data being examined has a large percentage who were missing race and ethnicity and were classified as "unknown".
We acknowledge that it's important to look at COVID-19 data through an equity lens, and we will be working to do this as the data becomes available. Having data by race/ethnicity, socio-economic status, language, disability status, age, and geography will help us understand where the burden of disease is falling, and thus more effectively respond to COVID-19 and support our communities. PHIWM is advocating for expanded demographic data collection about COVID-19.
- NEW! Weekly COVID-19 Vaccination Report: This weekly report features information on COVID-19 vaccine supply distribution, administration, and other data for Massachusetts. It is updated each Thursday by 5pm.
- COVID-19 Data & Communications, 12/18/2020 webinar: featuring Dr. Catherine Brown, State Epidemiologist for the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (MDPH), and Dr. Devon Greyson, Assistant Professor in the Department of Communication at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst.
- Changes to the MA COVID-19 Community Risk Categorization Metrics, 11/20/2020 webinar recording
- Using the Western MA COVID-19 Data Dashboard, 9/18/2020 Webinar Recording
- Public Health Institute of Western MA COVID-19 Data Archive
- Public Health Institute of Western MA COVID-19 Milestones
- Positive COVID-19 Cases in Schools Reported by Districts: Positive COVID-19 cases among students and staff by district reported to the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, updated each Thursday
- COVID-19 data from universities located in Western MA: listing of links to COVID-19 data from universities located in Western MA
- State Representative Mindy Domb's Institutions of Higher Education in MA COVID-19 Data Tracker
- Massachusetts Department of Public Health COVID-19 Cases in Massachusetts and Data Dashboard
- UMASS Donahue Institute's Data Dash: Visualizing the disproportionate impact of COVID-19 on MA's communities of color and urban areas
- Johns Hopkins University interactive web-based dashboard to visualize and track reported cases by country and by US states and counties in real time.
- Kaiser Family Foundation COVID-19 Coronavirus Tracker, interactive web-based dashboard to visualize and track cases and death counts by country
- New York Times Map and Case Count: View number of cases and deaths by country, state, and county.
- COVID Racial Data Tracker: a partnership between the COVID Tracking Project at The Atlantic and the Antiracist Research and Policy Center.