Below is a list of information you will find on this page. Either scroll through the page or click one of the links below.
- Planning team
- About the surveys
- Key data and reports - 2021 Data just released!
- Interactive youth health data portal
- Additional resources
New Report on Youth Mental Health Inequities
We've released a new report about mental health inequities among Springfield eighth grade students. Although many actions have been taken to address youth mental health since our last data brief, inequities continue to exist.
The Public Health Institute of Western MA led efforts to conduct the Youth Health Survey (YHS) and Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS) with 8th, 10th, and 12th graders enrolled in Springfield Public Schools in 2015, 2017, 2019, and now 2021.
The YHS and YRBS are administered in alternating years with the Prevention Needs Assessment Survey (PNAS), an effort led by the Gandara Center's Stop Access Drug Free Communities Coalition.
We hope that this data will contribute to a dialogue among school staff, community-based organizations, health care providers, and the students themselves about strategies to promote the health and wellbeing of our young people.
The Youth Health Survey Initiative planning team included representatives from the following organizations:
- Gándara Center
- Martin Luther King Jr. Family Services (including high school-age youth from the Peer Health Advocate program)
- Massachusetts Gaming Commission
- Public Health Institute of Western Massachusetts
- Springfield Department of Health and Human Services
- Springfield Public Schools
- Other Experts - Elaine Puleo, PhD (formerly University of Massachusetts, Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology)
The planning team is involved with planning, implementing, and disseminating results from the springfield youth health surveys.
Thank you for the generous support from our funders!
Additional Past Funders
- Beveridge Family Foundation
- Springfield Health and Human Services
- Shriners Hospitals for Children - Springfield
The Springfield Youth Health Survey (YHS) is administered to 8th grade students enrolled at Springfield Public Schools. It is a modified version of the survey used by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health. The survey contains questions about diet, exercise, screen time, mental health, bullying, violence, health, alcohol, tobacco, marijuana and other drugs, and more.
The Springfield Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS) is administered to 10th and 12th grade students enrolled at Springfield Public Schools. The instrument used in Springfield is a modified version of the survey created by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and used statewide by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. The survey content is similar to the YHS, and it contains questions about safety, violence-related behaviors, bullying, self-harm, alcohol, tobacco, marijuana and other drugs, communication and education about sexuality and sexual health services, and more.
For copies of the questionnaires that were used, click here.
We created a user-friendly website, the Interactive Youth Health Data Portal, that allows users to visualize 2015, 2017, and now 2019 Springfield Youth Health Survey data in graphs and explore responses to questions by gender, race/ethnicity, and sexual orientation. Graphs can even be downloaded as images.
If you notice any errors or issues with the data portal, please e-mail us.
- NEW! 2021 Survey of Springfield 8th Grade Students- Responses to All Questions
- NEW! 2021 Survey of Springfield 10th and 12th Grade Students- Responses to All Questions
- NEW! Mental Health Inequities Among Springfield Eighth Grade Students: Findings from the 2019 Youth Health Survey (2021)
- Springfield Teen Health: Moving from Data to Action (recording from 10/16/2020 webinar)
- 2019 Youth Health Survey of Springfield Eighth Grade Students: Summary of Select Findings
- 2019 Survey of Springfield 8th Grade Students- Responses to All Questions
- 2019 Survey of Springfield 8th Grade Students- Slide Deck
- 2019 Survey of Springfield 10th and 12th Grade Students- Responses to All Questions
- 2019 Survey of Springfield 10th and 12th Grade Students- Slide Deck
- Mental Health Inequities in Springfield Youth (2018)
- 2017 Survey of Springfield 8th Grade Students- Responses to All Questions
- 2017 Survey of Springfield 10th and 12th Grade Students- Responses to All Questions
- Youth Health in Springfield, MA: Highlights from the 2015 Youth Health Survey of Eighth Graders
- 2015 Survey of Springfield 8th Grade Students- Responses to All Questions
- 2015 Survey of Springfield 10th and 12th Grade Students- Responses to All Questions
- MDPH Health Survey Program - This website contains information about MDPH's surveillance project to assess the health of youth.
- Youth Online- This CDC application allows users to access national and state Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System data.
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Youth Risk Behavior Survey Data Summary & Trends Report 2009-2019