Below is a list of information you will find on this page. Either scroll through the page or click one of the links below.
- Planning team
- About the surveys
- Key data and reports
- Interactive youth health data portal
- Additional resources
The Public Health Institute of Western MA led efforts to conduct the Springfield Youth Health Survey (SYHS) and Springfield Youth Risk Behavior Survey (SYRBS) with 8th, 10th, and 12th graders enrolled in Springfield Public Schools in 2015, 2017, 2019, 2021, and 2023.
The SYHS and SYRBS are administered in alternating years with the Prevention Needs Assessment Survey (PNAS), an effort led by the Gandara Center's Stop Access Drug Free Communities Coalition.
We hope that this data will contribute to a dialogue among school staff, community-based organizations, health care providers, and the students themselves about strategies to promote the health and wellbeing of our young people.
The 2023 Youth Health Survey Initiative planning team includes representatives from the following organizations:
- Gándara Center
- Public Health Institute of Western Massachusetts
- Springfield Department of Health and Human Services
- Springfield Public Schools
- Springfield Youth Mental Health Coalition (including youth from Beat the Odds)
The planning team is involved with planning, implementing, and disseminating results from the Springfield youth health surveys.
Thank you for the generous support from our funders!
- City of Springfield, American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) Funds
- The Richard and Barbara Whitcomb Foundation
Additional Past Funders
- Baystate Health
- Beveridge Family Foundation
- Massachusetts Gaming Commission
- Springfield Health and Human Services
- Shriners Hospitals for Children - Springfield
The Springfield Youth Health Survey (YHS) is administered to 8th grade students enrolled at Springfield Public Schools. It is a modified version of the survey used by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health. The survey contains questions about diet, exercise, screen time, mental health, bullying, violence, health, alcohol, tobacco, marijuana and other drugs, and more.
The Springfield Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS) is administered to 10th and 12th grade students enrolled at Springfield Public Schools. The instrument used in Springfield is a modified version of the survey created by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and used statewide by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. The survey content is similar to the YHS, and it contains questions about safety, violence-related behaviors, bullying, self-harm, alcohol, tobacco, marijuana and other drugs, communication and education about sexuality and sexual health services, and more.
Each year, the SYHSI Planning Team reviews and modifies the questionnaires to reflect local interests and concerns.
For copies of the questionnaires that were used, click here.
Using Data for Action
Watch Kathleen Szegda, Director of Community Research and Evaluation, and Mabeline Velez, our former intern and research assistant discuss the importance of data. In this video, Kathleen offers an example of how youth health survey data was used to make changes in Springfield Public Schools. Learn more about actions taken to address youth mental health in our 2021 report.
- 2023 Survey of Springfield 8th Grade Students- Responses to All Questions
- 2023 Survey of Springfield 10th and 12th Grade Students- Responses to All Questions
- 2021 Survey of Springfield 8th Grade Students- Responses to All Questions
- 2021 Survey of Springfield 10th and 12th Grade Students- Responses to All Questions
- Mental Health Inequities Among Springfield Eighth-Grade Students: Findings from the 2019 Youth Health Survey (2021)
- Springfield Teen Health: Moving from Data to Action (recording from 10/16/2020 webinar)
- 2019 Youth Health Survey of Springfield Eighth-Grade Students: Summary of Select Findings
- 2019 Survey of Springfield 8th Grade Students- Responses to All Questions
- 2019 Survey of Springfield 8th Grade Students- Slide Deck
- 2019 Survey of Springfield 10th and 12th Grade Students- Responses to All Questions
- 2019 Survey of Springfield 10th and 12th Grade Students- Slide Deck
- Mental Health Inequities in Springfield Youth (2018)
- 2017 Survey of Springfield 8th Grade Students- Responses to All Questions
- 2017 Survey of Springfield 10th and 12th Grade Students- Responses to All Questions
- Youth Health in Springfield, MA: Highlights from the 2015 Youth Health Survey of Eighth Graders
- 2015 Survey of Springfield 8th Grade Students- Responses to All Questions
- 2015 Survey of Springfield 10th and 12th Grade Students- Responses to All Questions
We created a user-friendly website, the Interactive Youth Health Data Portal, that allows users to visualize 2015, 2017, and 2019 Springfield Youth Health Survey data in graphs and explore responses to questions by gender, race/ethnicity, and sexual orientation. Graphs can even be downloaded as images.
If you notice any errors or issues with the data portal, please e-mail us.
- MDPH Health Survey Program - This website contains information about MDPH's surveillance project to assess the health of youth.
- Youth Online- This CDC application allows users to access national and state Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System data.
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Youth Risk Behavior Survey Data Summary & Trends Report 2009-2019